Monday, February 22, 2010

African American hair growth! I need help!?

i have shoulder length african american hair. i would love to not use heat or a relaxer on my hair. i use to let my hair air dry. it gets puffy and i can't leave my house. so how could i still air dry but make it look nice, as in not puffy.


it's not growing. i go to a hair dresser every other week. i get it deep conditioned every other visit. i put oil and protein complex in my hair as well. i also wrap it. still not growing. so i was going to stop using perms. but the only other thing i could do is to use a pressing comb or flat iron which uses heat. which should i use? there doesn't seem a way around it. i either have to let it grow out natural, which i won't. or get a relaxer. or use a pressing comb/ flat iron.


what should i do?!African American hair growth! I need help!?
1. thats too much direct heat.





2. You can have healthy hair thats relaxed..it just takes a little more knowledge and work.


look at her hair: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4


she's relaxed and her hair is beautiful.





3. you should get relaxers every 8-10 weeks instead. Roller setting in between touch ups help minimize the amount of heat. So..you'd rollerset..sit under a dryer, take the rollers down, blow out the roots or flat iron them [the roots only!]. Then style your curls as you'd like..or wrap it. Make sure you use a good heat protectant when flat ironing. I recommend fantasia ic straightening [pink bottle]. Or some sort of straightening serum.





4. you should deep condition at least twice a week.





5. You can air-dry it in a bun.





6. DONT get discouraged your hair is growing..if it wasnt then what is newgrowth? You feel me? What are you relaxing if your hair isnt growing? Maybe your hair dresser is cutting off your progress.





heres some more help from her..


http://youtube.com/watch?v=jIKAfLv8Xfc%26amp;f鈥?/a>





Dont hesitate email me if you have any questions.African American hair growth! I need help!?
You can still get relaxers. Just be sure to only get them every 6-8 weeks and be sure to oil/lubricate your scalp really well. I promise you your hair can still grow using them...I'm a living witness! Also when you wash and air dry, try using a leave-in conditioner and scrunch it to make it wavy/curly. Use a serum for shine. Lay off the heat (blow dryer, curling irons, flat irons, pressing combs). I would also incorporate more water intake and a daily multivitamin. Increasing your protein intake should help as well as a daily scalp massages. Hope this helps!
Lay off the relaxer, it can damage hair growth follicles. Do not use too much oil near the scalp because that can clog the follicles. Also, I would wash my hair at least once a week, to stimulate growth and braid it so that it can be curly/wavy when you take it out. If that doesn't help, see a dermatologist.
My daughter is 38 and her hair is so thick and almost touches her behind. Most of the time, all she does to it is wash it, oil the scalp, and plat it. When she takes out the plats, she has the wavy look. Sometimes, she will pull a warm pressing comb through it and pin it up. Make sure the comb is just warm and not hot! If you condition it well you won't have a lot of breakage.
I am in the process of going natural right now. My hair is difficult to deal with even with a relaxer. I have been relaxing since I was 12. I would go to the hair dresser every two weeks and my hair is still very thick. I'm not complaining and neither should you because thick hair is a good thing.


You do not need to go to the hair dressing every week or every two weeks to start the natural process. Start by getting natural products for your hair. Shea butter, jojoba hot oil, coconut leave in conditioner, etc.


Right now I have a sew in weave. I'll do this for a while then wear it out. It going to be very hot soon so you might want to consider micro braids, goddess braids or flat twist. I also bought a Sedu flat iron (Sedu or Chi are the best) for those days I want to wear just my hair.


You have tons of options to help you through the process. And different style you can get. Don't spend all your money going to a hair dresser for things you can do at home. I only recommend the hair dresser when you need a trim for dead ends. You don't have to be stuck with the pony tail style.


GOOD LUCK....HAVE FUN!
I am afr/wht mix, with hair to by but...real hair.. I never get perms, which start the destruction at the root. I flat iron my hair about twice a week, give it natural air dry, every time. I don't get the frizzes anymore, because I now let my hair do what it does naturally. It needs to do what it does. Even on day when I don't flat iron, I use a hair band, and still as long as you do your thing, no one will care what your hair looks like...Have confidence, it's only one or two days... As far a straightening, I use a flat iron, that has control over heat, the pressing comb, does not...which is very dangerous, I also use a Olive Oil sheen, that is in a green can, That can be purchased at any department store...no more perms...let your hair grow naturally, that's the only way to get your hair healthy....

No comments:

Post a Comment